I love to make basic pasta sauces a bit more nutritious by adding in fabulously nutritious ingredients wherever I can. I’ve adapted my basic tomato sauce recipe to include omega 3 healthy fats and a few additional veggies to boost the nutrition and the flavour! Don’t be tempted to leave out the sugar to make this healthier, you need it to balance the flavour.
This recipe is also suitable for freezing and will keep indefinitely without spoiling, but try and use within 6 months for the best flavour.
Homemade Pasta Sauce
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 courgette grated
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- Aprox 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Aprox 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small tin of anchovies
- Use a little oil from the anchovies to sweat the onion, courgette and pepper in a saucepan over a gentle heat for around 20 minutes.
- Add the crushed garlic and continue to stir, being careful to not let it burn.
- Add both tins of chopped tomatoes, turn up the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering add the anchovies and stir through till dissolved.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and sugar to balance the flavours, the amount you need will vary depending on the ripeness of the tomatoes so add gradually and taste frequently till you get it right.
- Cover with a lid and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little then blend till smooth with a hand blender.
- Combine with your favourite pasta shapes.