We eat a lot of pasta and pizza in our house! I have a couple of teenagers after all and they seem to crave these foods to fuel their growth. I’ve adapted my basic tomato sauce recipe to include omega 3 healthy fats and a few additional veggies to boost the nutrition and the flavour!
It is also suitable for freezing and will keep indefinitely without spoiling, but try and use within 6 months for the best flavour.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 1 courgette grated
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small tin anchovies
- Open the anchovies and pour a little of the oil into a large saucepan. Add the onion, courgette and pepper and sweat over a gentle heat until soft.
- Reduce the heat, add the crushed garlic and gently sweat.
- Add the tins of chopped tomatoes, turn up the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Once simmering, add the anchovies and stir through. They will dissolve in the sauce.
- Add the vinegar and sugar.
- Cover with a lid and gently simmer for 20 mins.
- Allow to cool a little and then blend until smooth with a hand blender.
- Enjoy as a nutritious base for homemade pizzas and pasta dishes.