This recipe is for a healthier version of granola with the added benefit of nuts and seeds to provide some omega 3 healthy fats. It’s delicious sprinkled on top of fruit and yoghurt or one of my baked cinnamon apples for a nutritious start to the day. It’s great for busy mums and if you have a fish hater in the family, it’s a great way to get alternative omega 3 into their diet!
Sugar Free Granola
- 150 g whole rolled oats
- 30 g walnuts
- 30 g pecans
- 50 g sunflower seeds
- 50 g pumpkin seeds
- 25 g sesame seeds
- 30 g milled flaxseed or chia seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- Zest of an orange
- Chop the nuts roughly. If you are serving this to your child make sure these are very small to avoid the risk of choking.
- Add the oats and nuts to a large frying pan and toast gently over a low heat to release the nutty flavours.
- Turn off the heat and toss in the seeds.
- Sprinkle in the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and mix together thoroughly to ensure it’s completely combined.
- Finish by stirring in the orange zest.
- Allow to cool in the pan before transferring to a clean glass jar for storage.
- Keeps for around 2 weeks as long as your jar is airtight.