After spending the last 12 months nurturing every mouthful that your baby takes, you want to make sure that their first celebration cake gets top marks from a nutritional perspective too.
This cake is made without refined sugar, sweetened only by the natural sugars found in bananas and dates.
Wholemeal flour and fruit provide fibre, making it great for tiny tums, and healthy fats in the olive oil spread help to boost heart health.
Baby’s First Birthday Cake
- 200 g of softened olive margarine
- 4 eggs
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 300 g white self-raising flour
- 300 g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 2 large overripe bananas
- 250 g dried dates
- 300 mI whole milk
- 300 mI whipping cream
- Fresh strawberries raspberries, blueberries & blackberries
- No 1 candle!
- Preheat oven to 18O⁰C.
- Grease two 7 inch cake tins and line the bottom and sides with baking paper.
- Place a small bowl of cold water in the bottom of the oven.
- In a microwave safe container, add a tablespoon of water to the dried dates and microwave covered for 2 minutes.
- Add the 2 bananas to the microwaved dates and purée until smooth with a blender.
- In your mixer or a clean bowl, combine eggs, the puréed fruit and olive margarine and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa powder and stir.
- Add spoons of flour then milk, alternating each and mixing in between each addition until both are used up.
- Divide the cake batter equally into the two tins.
- Place side by side on the same shelf in your pre-heated oven.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes but check your cake is cooked by inserting a skewer or cocktail stick into the centre. If it comes out clean it’s cooked, if not, return to the oven for a further 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool a little in the tin and then turn out onto a cooling tray.
- Remove the baking paper carefully and allow to cool completely.
- Five minutes before serving, top with whipped cream spiked with vanilla extract and decorate with your baby’s favourite fruits.
- Take a picture and sing ’Happy Birthday’!