I wanted to create a recipe for a refreshing coconut milkshake that doesn’t use ice cream and here it is!
If you want to make it a thick shake, freeze the milk for 1-2 hours before adding it to the blender jug.
Coconut is a really popular ‘health food’ at the moment. It’s unusual because it’s very high in fat compared to other plant foods and what’s more unique is that this fat is MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) meaning it’s absorbed into the human body differently. We don’t yet fully understand the benefits of this but MCT fats don’t seem to be as harmful as fats from animal sources.
- 50 g fresh coconut flesh or 30g desiccated coconut
- 90 g whole milk
- 60 g coconut water from the coconut or coconut drink
- If you are using a fresh coconut, start by extracting the coconut water and flesh. See tip above.
- Add the coconut pieces or desiccated coconut, milk and coconut water or drink to a blender jug.
- Blend for 20-30 seconds.
- Serve with a straw and a slice of pineapple for decoration if you’re feeling totally tropical!
With thanks to Katie McMahon for her help in designing this recipe.