Who doesn’t love baked beans? We got creative in the kitchen and found that baked beans make an awesome addition to lasagne!
They’re a great source of protein, cheaper than meat and this recipe is an alternative but super nutritious quick lasagne.
You can create individual portions for your little one by using 3 ramekins and pre-cooking your lasagne sheets in water. Or make a big one for the whole family to enjoy.
Mini lasagnas won’t take quite as long to cook because they’re smaller in size and the pasta has already been cooked. Pop them in the oven for just 15-20 minutes.
Throw away if the leftovers have had your baby’s hands or spoon in.
Allow remaining portions to cool for over 1-2 hours on the worktop before placing them in the fridge. Keeps for up to 2 days. Also suitable for freezing but place them in the fridge when cooled for at least 30 minutes before freezing to bring the temperature right down.
Defrost overnight in the fridge or microwave on the defrost setting. When reheating make sure the food is piping hot (reached at least 70 degrees C for 2 minutes).
Baked Bean Lasagne
- 240 g baked beans (reduced salt)
- 6 lasagne Sheets 102 g
- 23 g unsalted butter
- 23 g flour
- 230 ml milk
- ¼ tsp oregano
- 75 g grated cheddar cheese
- 25 g grated cheddar cheese for the top
- Optional: pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- First make your white sauce by melting butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the flour, mix with a wooden spoon and cook for a few minutes.
- Gently add in the milk bit by bit and continue to stir ensuring you mix out any lumps.
- Once all the milk is incorporated add oregano and nutmeg and continue to cook till the mixture has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and add in cheese and mix till its melted.
- Using an oven proof casserole dish or ramekin, spoon a layer of baked beans at the bottom and place a lasagne sheet on top. Then add a layer of the cheese sauce and repeat to create several layers.
- Spoon the remaining white sauce on the final layer and top with the additional grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for around 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with your baby’s favourite veggies.
With thanks to Bijal Tankodra for her help in designing this recipe.