Stock is needed for many recipes but standard stock cubes contain too much salt for babies. You can buy reduced salt stock cubes but I like to make my own. This one is packed full of vitamins from lots of fresh vegetables. Baby stock can be frozen in ice cube trays and popped out into freezer bags so you always have a handy portion of stock for your weaning recipes.
- 30 g onion
- 30 g carrot
- 30 g celery
- 30 g parsnip
- 30 g swede
- 5 g butter
- Spring of fresh parsley chopped
- 600 ml water
- 1 bay leaf
- Any other garden herbs chopped
- Peel and dice all the vegetables and add to a saucepan.
- Add the butter, parsley, bay leaf and any other herbs.
- Add cold water to cover the vegetables and herbs.
- Bring to a boil on the hob, cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for around 60 mins.
- Strain the vegetables and herbs using a sieve, squeezing out any remaining juices with the back of a spoon. Reserve the water as this is your stock!