Red meat is one of the best sources of iron, one of the critical nutrients that babies need during the second 6 months of life. Sometimes it can be a tricky texture to master but making a bolognese is ideal. Try and offer this dish either with the pasta if you are doing Baby Lead Weaning, or without as a puree as soon as first tastes are accepted.
- 50 g minced beef
- ½ clove garlic
- pinch of oregano
- 20 g onion chopped
- 50 g passata
- 50 g grated carrot
- 20 g grated courgette
- 100 g cooked pasta – choose mini shells if you are traditional weaning or larger pieces for Baby Led Weaning
- Add the minced beef, diced onions, grated carrot, oregano and garlic to the steamer blender and steam for 10 minutes.
- Drain the excess water and stir to combine.
- Add the grated courgette and passata and steam for a further 15 minutes.
- Blend for 2 minutes if your baby is at the start of weaning or 5-10 seconds if you are further along.
- Serve with cooked pasta shapes.