Lentils are a good source of iron, but because they are from a vegetarian source, they aren’t readily absorbed by your baby’s body. Pair up this dish with a vitamin C rich food like fruit for dessert to maximise iron absorption.
Suitable for babies as young as 6 months as long as single first tastes of bitter veggies have been accepted. If you are not sure how to start weaning, read my weaning plan here.
Aromatic Lentil Puree for Baby
- 40 g canned cooked green lentils in water
- 15 g celery chopped
- 15 g spring onion finely chopped
- 20 g red pepper diced
- 100 g sweet potato diced
- 10 g unsalted butter
- Sprig of fresh coriander
- ¼ teaspoon of fresh ginger grated or ground ginger
- Add the sweet potato, onion, celery, red pepper, coriander, ginger and butter to a saucepan and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the canned cooked lentils and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Blend with a stick blender to your desired consistency.
- You can thin with a little of your baby’s usual milk if the puree is too thick.